Temporary table has become problematically persistent

From: Ricky Ramirez <ricky(at)reddit(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Temporary table has become problematically persistent
Date: 2020-05-04 23:24:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have run into a strange situation with our database. A temporary table
was created some time ago and that session has since died. However, the
temporary table stuck around. It's been around long enough that postgres
stopped accepting writes to prevent transaction ID wraparound. Problem is,
it's a temporary table and the session that it's associated with is gone,
so we cannot vacuum it nor even drop the table. We even restarted postgres
and the temporary table was still there!

The table shows up in pg_class as a temporary table with zero tuples. The
table replicated over to other hosts. We were able to promote a replica and
then single user mode the replica and drop the offending table. I still
have the original broken database available for debugging. Can I provide
any additional debugging information?

Thanks,

Ricky