Replication order

From: Martin S <martins(dot)listz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Replication order
Date: 2011-12-27 15:56:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello List!

I've been playing around with replication for a few weeks. What I made
was master+slave with both log shipping (NFS on a 3rd server) and
streaming replication.

Before hitting production environment with this schema, I was trying
to reproduce some issues that we may face in the future. You know,
things happens.
One test included shutting down NFS. Replication stopped. I tried to
restart the slave with "-m immediate", and see if it acknowledged that
log shipping wasn't working any more. Didn't work.

I had to edit recovery.conf, and disable log shipping.

The question is, is there any way to set streaming as the primary
replication method? Or timeout log shipping in order to disable it?

May be I'm doing something wrong, so any advice or idea is welcomed.

Thanks!

Martín