On naming of executables

From: Mark Davidson <chemosh9(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: On naming of executables
Date: 2012-09-06 17:57:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

As a new user of Postgres I'm wondering about the naming of certain
executables (createdb, dropuser, etc). These are fairly ambiguous
names. They could just as well apply to the OS or an other DBMS. Why
not prefix them? (e.g. `pg_createdb` such as several other scripts).

I suppose this is a case of bikeshedding and I realize I am free to
rename them; I'm just curious as to why this is.