authentication failure

From: Jayadevan M <maymala(dot)jayadevan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: authentication failure
Date: 2014-01-03 09:16:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I am trying to login from psql and consistently getting a
"psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xyz"" for all
users. I am not being prompted for a password at all. I faced a similar
issue sometime ago because there was a .pgpass file and it had wrong
entries. This time there is no .pgpass file.
Any clues? How do I trouble-shoot?
Other possibly relevant info - this is a chrooted environment. I upgraded
the OS recently in this env and faced some issues with /dev/null /proc etc
not being present and so on. Some issues there?
The database itself is running in the same server in the non-chroot
environment. I am also running a python application which uses psycopg2 and
that is working fine.
Regards,
Jayadevan