Re: Duplicate usage of tablespace location?

From: Neha Khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate usage of tablespace location?
Date: 2017-05-05 11:42:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As Kyotaro san pointed out, the commit 22817041 started allowing creation
of multiple "tablespace version directories" in same location. However the
original purpose of that commit was to allow that just for the upgrade
purpose. So couple of points:
- The commit violated the requirement of emptiness of the tablespace
location directory.
(Though it is still prevented to create multiple tablespaces belonging
to one server, in same location.)
- The comment did not document this change in specification.

Probably it was not anticipated at that time that a user could create the
tablespaces for different server version at the same location.

Now that this behaviour is present in field for a while, there is
likelihood of having systems with tablespaces for two different versions,
in same location. To avoid the problem reported in [1] for such systems,
here are couple of alternative approaches:

1. Allow creation of multiple tablespaces in single location for different
server versions, but not the same version(exception).
a) Also allow this capability in utilities like pg_basebackup( and others
that update tablespaces) .
b) Update the documentation about this specification change.

I don't see this breaking any backwards compatibility.

2. Retain the current base rule of creating Tablespaces i.e. "The location
must be an existing, empty directory". This means:
a) For the future release, have a strict directory emptiness check while
creating new tablespace.
b) Only during upgrade, allow creation of multiple tablepaces in same
location .
c) Document the fact that only during upgrade the system would create
multiple tablespaces in same location.
d) Provide a flexibility to change the location of an existing tablespace,
something like:
ALTER TABLESPACE tblspcname SET LOCATION '/path/to/newlocation'
[where newlocation is an existing empty direcotry]

With the altered location of a tablespace it should be possible to perform
the pg_basebackup successfully.
I noticed some solutions for moving PostgreSQL tablesspaces, on internet.
But some are slow, others cause incompatibility for tools like pgAdmin. I
am not able to find any discussion about moving tablespace location in
mailing lists too. So I am not sure if there is already any conclusion
about supporting or not supporting ALTER TABLESPACE LOCATION.
To me, the first approach above looks like providing more independence to
the user about choice of tablespace location. Also, it is not clear that
why the directory emptiness rule was introduced in first place. Any insight
on that will be useful.

Regards,
Neha

[1]https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2008148.rxBNyNRHPZ@peanuts2