Re: Another hstore_type idea

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another hstore_type idea
Date: 2011-12-23 18:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de> wrote:
> after reading the thread on "Typed hstore proposal", I wonder if another
> minded extension of hstore would be benefical:
>
> add additional hstore types with numerical data type for the values.

I would expect the primary *performance* value in an "hstore
extension" to come from things that allow accessing data without
needing to "unbox" it.
(I remember the concept of unboxing from APL; it seems to have been
subsumed by object oriented terminology...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_type_%28object-oriented_programming%29#Unboxing)

The big "win" comes not as much from type matching (which seems to me
like a morass, as you'll need the zillion Postgres types to cover all
the cases) as it comes from avoiding the need to take the "blobs" of
tuple data and re-parse them.