Re: Question: PostgreSQL on Amazon linux EC2

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ajay Patel <mailajaypatel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question: PostgreSQL on Amazon linux EC2
Date: 2020-07-07 19:08:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 15:55, Ajay Patel <mailajaypatel(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Postgres team,
>
> I would like to know if PostgreSQL can be installed and used without any
> issues on Amazon Linux EC2 machines.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/supported-platforms.html
>
> I was going through the documentation and couldn't find very specific
> details related to support.
>
> Any input will be much helpful.

In a way, this is not a whole lot different from asking,

"I would like to know if PostgreSQL can be installed and used without any
issues on Dell server machines."

In that case, there could be questions about whether there are good drivers
for disk controllers that would vary from model to model, and some things
like that. But there are few up-front answers the way there used to be for
how to handle (say) different versions of AIX.

Amazon EC2 provides virtualized "gear" that simulates x86-64 hardware
reasonably decently; there can certainly be performance issues relating to
how fast their simulated disk is, and how fast their simulated network is.

But there are no highly-specific-to-EC2 details related to hardware
support, as you noticed on that web page.

If you do not have performance or load requirements that are so high that
they point at edge cases where the EC2 virtualized environment starts to
break down, then it's probably mostly smooth sailing.

You need to be aware that they do not promise super-high-availability, so
you should be sure to keep good backups lest your server gets dropped on
the floor and you lose all your data. I'm not sure there's good stats just
yet as to how often that happens. But it isn't difficult to provision a
pgbackrest server that will capture backups into S3 cloud storage to help
protect from that.