Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-05-02 15:53:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> What is the use case for temporary tables on a hot standby server?

Simple...

We required a "hot standby" server in order to get improved reliability.

But we don't want it to sit there chewing power + money, unused.

We want to *use* it to support our reporting applications.

And the developers used temporary tables to marshal results used in
some of those reports.

There are conflicting senses of "read-only" here...
- In one strict sense, to generate tuples in temp tables means it's
not "read only" access.
- But since the users running reports aren't allowed to modify the
data in the application tables that they are querying, how is that
*not* fairly characterized as "read only" access???