Re: Disable WAL completely - Performance and Persistency research

From: Netanel Katzburg <netanel10k(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Disable WAL completely - Performance and Persistency research
Date: 2016-07-10 10:27:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay,
The answer is yes,

I tried 2 things so far:
1. As I understand:

*XLogRecPtr*
*XLogInsert(RmgrId rmid, uint8 info)*

is the primary insert function in xloginsert.c.
I tried commenting the following line at this function, so I can return a
phony pointer every time the function is called, just as in bootstrap mode.

*if (IsBootstrapProcessingMode() && rmid != RM_XLOG_ID)*

2. At xlog.c, CopyXLogRecordToWAL(int write_len, bool isLogSwitch,
XLogRecData *rdata,
XLogRecPtr StartPos, XLogRecPtr EndPos), Commenting the memcpy syscall:

memcpy(currpos, rdata_data, rdata_len);

BUT, both options are not good, as they are stopping me from even running i
*nitdb.*

Maybe someone have a lead regarding changes to be done at xlog.c:

*XLogInsertRecord(XLogRecData *rdata, XLogRecPtr fpw_lsn)*

Any other lead regarding xloginsert.c is welcomed as well.

Regards,

Netanel