Re: Idea: PostgreSQL equivalent to Oracle's KEEP clause

From: Ben Clements <benhasgonewalking(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idea: PostgreSQL equivalent to Oracle's KEEP clause
Date: 2023-03-14 03:07:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks David.

Similar to your "TOP() and BOTTOM() aggregate" idea, you might find Erwin
Brandstetter's solution using the LAST() aggregate function interesting: (
https://dba.stackexchange.com/a/324646/100880)

If the FIRST_LAST_AGG extension is installed, then we can do something like
this:

SELECT country
, count(*) AS ct_cities
, max(population) AS highest_population
, last(city ORDER BY population, city) AS biggest_city -- !FROM
citiesGROUP BY countryHAVING count(*) > 1;

-Ben