Can a view use a schema search_path?

From: Adam Mackler <adammackler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can a view use a schema search_path?
Date: 2012-09-17 09:06:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I have the feeling the answer is no, but I would like an authoritative
answer before I give up.

My plan was to have two schemas: one for the live data, and one for
staging, training, and testing. Both schemas would have identically-named
tables. I wanted to create a single view in the public schema, and have
that one view refer to the tables in one or the other schema depending on
my search_path setting at the time I query the view.

But it seems that at the time the view is created it decides which schema's
table it's referring to, even if I don't explicitly qualify the table names
with the schema name.

Am I correct in concluding that there's no way to have a single view in the
public schema that selects data from tables in different other schemas
depending on my search_path at the time I execute a query involving that
view?

Thanks.
--
Adam Mackler