Re: A qsort template

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A qsort template
Date: 2022-04-02 08:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> I started towards incorporating the change in insertion sort threshold
> (part of 0010), but that caused regression test failures, so that will
> have to wait for a bit of analysis and retesting. (My earlier tests
> were done in a separate module.)

The failures seem to be where sort order is partially specified. E.g.
ORDER BY col_a, where there are duplicates there and other columns are
different. Insertion sort is stable IIRC, so moving the threshold
caused different orders in these cases. Some cases can be conveniently
fixed with additional columns in the ORDER BY clause. I'll go through
the failures and see how much can be cleaned up as a preparatory
refactoring.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com