Re: speed up unicode normalization quick check

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: speed up unicode normalization quick check
Date: 2020-10-19 16:12:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 2:16 AM Peter Eisentraut <
> > peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Could you adjust the generation script so that the resulting header file
> >> passes the git whitespace check? Check the output of
> >> git show --check 80f8eb79e24d9b7963eaf17ce846667e2c6b6e6f
>
> > My git manual says:
> > The above would mean we should have errors for every function whose
> > parameters are lined with the opening paren, so I don't see why it would
> > fire in this case. Is the manual backwards?
>
> Probably not, but our whitespace rules are not git's default.
> See .gitattributes at the top level of a git checkout

I see, I should have looked for that when Michael mentioned it. We could
left-justify instead, as in the attached. If it were up to me, though, I'd
just format it like pgindent expects, even if not nice looking. It's just a
bunch of numbers.

--
John Naylor
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-whitespace-hash-func.patch application/octet-stream 776 bytes