Re: cutting down the TODO list thread

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cutting down the TODO list thread
Date: 2020-12-10 19:29:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Continuing with TODO list maintenance, first a couple things to clean up:

- Allow ALTER INDEX ... RENAME concurrently

This was in the wrong section, but it's irrelevant: The lock level was
lowered in commit 1b5d797cd4f, so I went ahead and removed this already.

- Add CORRESPONDING BY to UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT

The link titled "how not to write this patch" points to a web archive of
the author's description of how he implemented the rejected patch. That
doesn't seem useful, since it was...rejected. I propose to replace that
with the -hackers thread, where there is discussion of the design problem:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAJZSWkWN3YwQ01C3%2Bcq0%2BeyZ1DmK%3D69_6vryrsVGMC%3D%2BfWrSZA%40mail.gmail.com

Now, for the proposed items to move to "Not Worth Doing". As before, let me
know of any objections. I plan to move these early next week:

*Views and Rules

- Allow VIEW/RULE recompilation when the underlying tables change

The entry itself says "This is both difficult and controversial." and the
linked threads confirm that.

- Make it possible to use RETURNING together with conditional DO INSTEAD
rules, such as for partitioning setups

This was from before we got native partitioning, so the stated rationale is
outdated.

*SQL Commands (this is a huge section, for now just doing the miscellany at
the top before the various subsections)

- Add a GUC variable to warn about non-standard SQL usage in queries

I don't see the reason for this, and sounds difficult anyway.

- Add NOVICE output level for helpful messages

This would only be useful if turned on, so is going to be least used where
it might help the most. It also sounds like a lot of slow menial work to
implement.

- Allow DISTINCT to work in multiple-argument aggregate calls

Tom suggested this in 2006 for the sake of orthogonality. Given the amount
of time passed, it seems not very important.

- Allow DELETE and UPDATE to be used with LIMIT and ORDER BY

Some use cases mentioned, but nearly all have some kind of workaround
already.

--
John Naylor
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company