Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops
Date: 2021-06-18 16:32:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 6:20 AM Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I have not come across many papers which leverage this idea. Googling
> "selectivity estimation confidence interval", does not yield many
> papers. Although I found [1] to be using a similar idea. So may be
> there's not merit in this idea, thought theoretically it sounds fine
> to me.
>

> [1]
https://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~moer/Publications/vldb18_smpl_synop.pdf

Well, that paper's title shows it's a bit too far forward for us, since we
don't use samples during plan time (although that's a separate topic worth
considering). From the references, however, this one gives some
mathematical framing of the problem that lead to the thread subject,
although I haven't read enough to see if we can get practical advice from
it:

Y. E. Ioannidis and S. Christodoulakis. On the propagation of errors in the
size of join results.
https://www.csd.uoc.gr/~hy460/pdf/p268-ioannidis.pdf

--
John Naylor