Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2022-11-16 05:17:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> > Thanks! Please let me know if there is something I can help with.
>
> I didn't get very far because the tests fail on 0004 in rt_verify_node:
>
> TRAP: failed Assert("n4->chunks[i - 1] < n4->chunks[i]"), File:
"../src/backend/lib/radixtree.c", Line: 2186, PID: 18242

Actually I do want to offer some general advice. Upthread I recommended a
purely refactoring patch that added the node-pointer struct but did nothing
else, so that the DSA changes would be smaller. 0004 attempted pointer
tagging in the same commit, which makes it no longer a purely refactoring
patch, so that 1) makes it harder to tell what part caused the bug and 2)
obscures what is necessary for DSA pointers and what was additionally
necessary for pointer tagging. Shared memory support is a prerequisite for
a shippable feature, but pointer tagging is (hopefully) a performance
optimization. Let's keep them separate.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com