Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2022-07-05 08:49:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Looking at the node stats, and then your benchmark code, I think key
> > construction is a major influence, maybe more than node type. The
> > key/value scheme tested now makes sense:
> >
> > blockhi || blocklo || 9 bits of item offset
> >
> > (with the leaf nodes containing a bit map of the lowest few bits of
> > this whole thing)
> >
> > We want the lower fanout nodes at the top of the tree and higher
> > fanout ones at the bottom.
>
> So more inner nodes can fit in CPU cache, right?

My thinking is, on average, there will be more dense space utilization
in the leaf bitmaps, and fewer inner nodes. I'm not quite sure about
cache, since with my idea a search might have to visit more nodes to
get the common negative result (indexed tid not found in vacuum's
list).

> > Note some consequences: If the table has enough columns such that much
> > fewer than 100 tuples fit on a page (maybe 30 or 40), then in the
> > dense case the nodes above the leaves will have lower fanout (maybe
> > they will fit in a node32). Also, the bitmap values in the leaves will
> > be more empty. In other words, many tables in the wild *resemble* the
> > sparse case a bit, even if truly all tuples on the page are dead.
> >
> > Note also that the dense case in the benchmark above has ~4500 times
> > more keys than the sparse case, and uses about ~1000 times more
> > memory. But the runtime is only 2-3 times longer. That's interesting
> > to me.
> >
> > To optimize for the sparse case, it seems to me that the key/value would be
> >
> > blockhi || 9 bits of item offset || blocklo
> >
> > I believe that would make the leaf nodes more dense, with fewer inner
> > nodes, and could drastically speed up the sparse case, and maybe many
> > realistic dense cases.
>
> Does it have an effect on the number of inner nodes?
>
> > I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
>
> Thank you for your analysis. It's worth trying. We use 9 bits for item
> offset but most pages don't use all bits in practice. So probably it
> might be better to move the most significant bit of item offset to the
> left of blockhi. Or more simply:
>
> 9 bits of item offset || blockhi || blocklo

A concern here is most tids won't use many bits in blockhi either,
most often far fewer, so this would make the tree higher, I think.
Each value of blockhi represents 0.5GB of heap (32TB max). Even with
very large tables I'm guessing most pages of interest to vacuum are
concentrated in a few of these 0.5GB "segments".

And it's possible path compression would change the tradeoffs here.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com