Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options
Date: 2020-10-30 16:01:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:51 PM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2020/10/29 21:54, John Naylor wrote:
>
> > The <structname>pg_settings</structname> does not display
> > <link linkend="runtime-config-custom">customized options</link>
> > that have been set before the relevant extension module has been
> loaded.
>
> I guess that someone can misread this as
>
> customized options that have been set before the relevant extension
> module has been loaded are not displayed even after the module is
> loaded.
>
> So what about the following, instead?
>
> The pg_settings does not display customized options until the
> extension
> module that defines them has been loaded.
>
> Also I think this note should be in the different paragraph from the
> paragraph
> of "The pg_settings view cannot be inserted into or deleted from...."
> because
> they are different topics. Thought?

Agreed on both points. In a separate paragraph, I think it's awkward to
start two consecutive sentences with "The pg_settings view". If we put it
in the previous paragraph we could phrase it like this:

"See Section 20.1 for more information about the various ways to change
these parameters. Customized options are not displayed until the
extension module that defines them has been loaded.

The pg_settings view..."

--
John Naylor
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company