Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date: 2022-09-14 04:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 5:24 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 9:34 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > > Why is this being proposed?
> >
> > Andres is annoyed by the long build time of ecpg, which he has to
> > wait for whether he wants to test it or not. I could imagine that
> > I might disable ecpg testing on my slowest buildfarm animals, too.
>
> This message triggered me to try to teach ccache how to cache
> preproc.y -> preproc.{c,h}, and I got that basically working[1], but
> upstream doesn't want it (yet). I'll try again if the proposed
> refactoring to allow more kinds of compiler-like-things goes
> somewhere. I think that started with people's struggles with GCC vs
> MSVC. Given the simplicity of this case, though, I suppose we could
> have a little not-very-general shell/python/whatever wrapper script --
> just compute a checksum of the input and keep the output files around.

If we're going to go to this length, it seems more straightforward to
just check the .c/.h files into version control, like every other
project that I have such knowledge of.

To be fair, our grammar changes much more often. One other possible
deal-breaker of that is that it makes it more painful for forks to
maintain additional syntax.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com