Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Date: 2023-05-24 05:23:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 11:19 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Second, you might be correct that the section is wrong. I thought of
> CPU instructions as something tied to the compiler, so part of the build
> process or source code, but the point we should be make is that we have
> these acceleration, not how it is implemented. We can move the entire
> group to the "General Performance" section, or we can split it out:

Splitting out like that seems like a good idea to me.

> Keep in source code:
>
> Add support for SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) vector
operations on
> x86-64 architectures (John Naylor)
>
> Add support for Advanced SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data)
(NEON)
> instructions on ARM architectures (Nathan Bossart)
>
> move to General Performance:
>
> Allow xid/subxid searches to use vector operations (Nathan
Bossart)

> Allow ASCII string detection to use vector operations (John
Naylor)

(The ASCII part is most relevant for COPY FROM, just in case that matters.)

> and add these to data types:
>
> Allow JSON string parsing to use vector operations (John Naylor)
>
> Allow array searches to use vector operations (John Naylor)

The last one refers to new internal functions, so it could stay in source
code. (Either way, we don't want to imply that arrays of SQL types are
accelerated this way, it's so far only for internal arrays.)

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com