Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10

From: Andrew Taylor <andydtaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10
Date: 2013-02-10 23:36:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Here's what I did to fix this in Ubuntu 12.10.

Now I cannot explain (a) why this problem came into being or (b) what the
science is behind my fix. This was my first dive into Linux logs and there
being seemingly an array of ways logging can be handled now, and was
handled historically, with some variation across linux distributions. It's
a little bewildering. All I can say it this works, and if someone can
offer me insight into (postgres) logs in Ubuntu it would be appreciated. So
here we go:

Syslog seems to be one of the key processes available for logging. You can
use this to determine what gets logged by given processes.

In /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
Add this line:
local0.* -/var/log/postgresql/

And edit this line from this:
daemon.*;mail.*;\
news.err;\
*.=debug;*.=info;\
*.=notice;*.=warn |/dev/xconsole

To be this:
daemon.*;mail.*;\
news.err;\
*.=debug;*.=info;\
*.=notice;*.=warn |/dev/xconsole;\
local0.none

The above is based on information at this link:
https://bowerstudios.com/node/890

Now (as if by magic) The /var/log/postgres directory is deleted and
recreated on shutdown/startup, AND a postgresql-9.1-main.log file is
created on reboot.