Re: Strange replication problem - segment restored from archive but still requested from master

From: Piotr Gasidło <quaker(at)barbara(dot)eu(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Strange replication problem - segment restored from archive but still requested from master
Date: 2015-05-25 13:15:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>> I currently have wal_keep_segments set to 0.
>> Setting this to higher value will help? As I understand: master won't
>> delete segment and could stream it to slave on request - so it will
>> help.
>

> It definitely helps, but the issue could still happen.

What conditions must be met for issue to happen?
Both archive_command on master and restore_commands are set and working.
Also wal_keep_segments is set.

I see no point of failure - only delay in the case of high WAL traffic
on master:
- slave starts with restoring WALs from archive,
- now, it connects to master and notices, that for last master's WAL
it needs previous one ("the issue"),
- slave asks master for previous WAL and gets it - job done, streaming
replication set, exit
- if unable to get it (WAL traffic is high, and after restoring last
WAL from archive and asking master for next one more than
wal_keep_segments were recycled) it returns to looking WALs in
archive.

Do I get it right?

--
Piotr Gasidło