Re: Agenda for the Vienna cluster meeting

From: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-cluster development <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Agenda for the Vienna cluster meeting
Date: 2015-10-10 20:32:14
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> With the October 31 Vienna cluster meeting three weeks away, I want to
> start to develop an agenda for the meeting. I propose we use the same
> outline we have on the TODO list:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
> Desirability -> Design -> Implement -> Test -> Review -> Commit
>
> Meaning, we should talk about what features we want first
> (Desirability), then the design, then implementation.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how the four-hour time slot should be
> broken up? Does anyone want to lead part of this discussion?

What is the goal of this summit, expected result ?

We have XC/XL/X2, Citus DB, EDB groups and I'd certainly interest to know
state of art of their sharding design and implementation. We'll present our
proposal of DTM and its implementation with examples of integrations with
FDW, pg_shard and probably XL. Our goal is to discuss API with all groups
and eventually convince community to accept it for 9.6. That would make
development of different approaches more easy.