Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-08-31 09:12:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 10:08:06PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:53:57AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > > Well, I have had many such discussions with XC/XL folks, and that
> was my
> > > opinion. I have seen almost no public discussion about this
> because the
> > > idea had almost no chance of success. If it was possible, someone
> would
> > > have already suggested it on this list.
> > >

> > > Or perhaps people invested in this area had other obligations or lacked
> > > motivation and/or time to work to push up for things in core. That's
> not
> > > possible to know, and what is done is done.
> >
> > Well, I have talked to everyone privately about this, and concluded that
> > while horizontal scalability/sharding is useful, it is unlikely that the
> > code volume of something like XC or XL would be accepted into the
> > community, and frankly, now that we have FDWs, it is hard to imagine why
> > we would _not_ go in the FDW direction.
>
> Actually, there was hope that XC or XL would get popular enough that it
> would justify adding their code into community Postgres, but that never
> happened.

AFAIK, XC/XL has already some customers and that is an additional pressure
on their development team, which is now called X2. I don't exactly know how
internal Huawei's MPPDB is connected to XC/XL.

We need community test suite for cluster and our company is working on
this. It's non-trivial work, but community will never accepts any cluster
solution without thorough testing of functionality and performance. Our
XC/XL experience was not good.