Re: [GSoC 2018] Proposal Draft

From: Kefan Yang <starordust(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2018] Proposal Draft
Date: 2018-03-21 02:01:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Thanks again for all the feedback! They have really helped me a lot, and
I've made some changes in my proposal accordingly.

The major updates in this version are in the *timeline *and *implementation
*sections. I feel there's still a lot to improve, so I would appreciate any
comment:)

I decide to add the new hashing table into this proposal, and I am still
working on it. This part is still quite incomplete in the proposal.

Regards,

Kefan

> Hi Kefar!
>
> 18 марта 2018 г., в 5:34, Kefan Yang <starordust(at)gmail(dot)com> написал(а):
>
> I am Kefan Yang, a third-year Computing Science student from Simon Fraser
> University, Canada. I am very interested in the *sorting algorithm
> benchmarking and implementation* issue you mentioned on the idealist of
> Google Summer of Code 2018.
>
> I am currently working on my proposal, but I am a little bit worried about
> whether I am on the right track. I've encountered some problems in the
> implementation of the benchmark of those sorting algorithms. I briefly
> described my current ideas in the proposal draft, but they may change a bit
> as I read more research papers. I sincerely hope to get some feedback from
> you to improve my proposal, especially for the implementation part.
>
> I've attached a proposal draft to this email. It's a brief one but I guess
> it's enough to show my current ideas:)
>

> Peter have already added some context, I'll comment a bit on contents of
> your proposal.
>
> I expect implementation of both timsort (dual pivot qsort) and introsort
> (depth-limited qsort). MySQL recently switched to introsort (they just used
> STL version instead of his own qsort).
> Sorting routines are important part of many DBMS parts. But, indeed,
> sorting of actual user data is related to qsort very distantly - often DBMS
> deals with external sorting.
>
> There is built-in Postgres way to benchmark - pgbench performance. But I
> do not think that it's output will be statistically conclusive. I think
> that benchmarking will be at least as time consuming as implementation
> itself.
>
> BTW I think it is good to add Postgres hash table implementation to this
> project too. Currently, we use Larson's linear hashing (HTAB struct,
> dynahash.c), which is somewhat seldom used nowadays. It would be good to
> tests cuckoo hashing and some open addressing against HTAB interface.
>
> Please do not forget to add to your proposal review of other's patches. If
> you will produce some useful output in a patch form and you will want it
> committed you will have to review someone else patch. This is required by
> Postgres dev process.
>
> Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Attachment Content-Type Size
proposal_draft.pdf application/pdf 166.0 KB