Re: Recover from corrupted database due to failing disk

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gionatan Danti <g(dot)danti(at)assyoma(dot)it>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recover from corrupted database due to failing disk
Date: 2016-11-04 15:24:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4 November 2016 at 11:20, Gionatan Danti <g(dot)danti(at)assyoma(dot)it> wrote:
> Unfortuntaly I am working with incredible constrains from customer side;
> even buying two SAS disks seems a problem. Moreover, as an external
> consultant, I have basically no decision/buying power :|
> What I can do (and I did) is to raise a very big red flag and let others
> decide what to do.

It seems to me that your customer doesn't realise how expensive it
would be if their server would be unavailable for any length of time
or if they would actually lose the data it contains. That, or the data
of your customer isn't so valuable that it's worth your time.

We've been fighting a somewhat similar fight internally here, where
management wasn't prepared to spend € 30,000 once on a server plus
software licenses, while they pay that to one of our new managers
monthly.