Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: hartmut(dot)holzgraefe(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date: 2018-05-01 16:41:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'd like to add my 2c that, as a user who has to support postgres running
on some fairly old systems, changing to a modern build mechanism (with all
the resultant dependency hell that it would likely introduce) would be
likely to cause me much grief.

At the moment I can still log in to the old RH Shrike box I keep
specifically for building for older systems (it does admittedly have a more
recent gcc, but even building that was a trial) and build Postgres from
source. Unless I've misunderstood I strongly doubt that would still be the
case with the changes being discussed here.

Geoff