Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?
Date: 2019-08-07 16:13:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 16:59, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> He didn't
> add a mailing list reference, but this is easy to find at
> https://postgr.es/m/20160720180706.GF24559@momjian.us
> I lean towards the view that he was using the literal program name as a
> verb, rather than trying to decline a verb normally.

I go with that, although I think it's confusing to not use the full
app name. If I were discussing a block of data that had been passed to
a "rewind" function, I might well put "this data has been rewind()ed"
(or just rewinded). But if I were discussing the concept itself, I
would say rewound.

eg In the example given, I would accept "and then
<application>pg_rewind</application>ed to become a standby".

Although I would probably have reworded it to use "and then
<application>pg_rewind</application> run again to set it to standby"
or something similar, because the "ed" form really does look odd in
documentation.

I don't think using "rewound" instead is explicit enough in this instance.

But that's just me. Feel free to ignore.

Geoff