Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Date: 2016-01-24 09:21:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 24 January 2016 at 00:15, Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 00:00:27 +0000
> Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:
>> Did I say we all need equal protection? No. I said we're all entitled
>> to the same level of protection.
>
> The preceding two sentences form a distinction that will need some
> elaboration.

I'm not quite sure how. Maybe English isn't your first language?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/entitle
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/need

> Come on, the preceding is contrived to the point of being silly. You
> know exactly what I mean.

No, it absolutely isn't. Your point is "here is a group of people who
have no right to an opinion because XYZ". My point is that by
generalising to the group you are ignoring the individuals within it.

Geoff