Re: adding status for COPY progress report

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: adding status for COPY progress report
Date: 2022-05-25 10:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 25 May 2022 at 10:15, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Patch v3 follows advice from Matthias (status field has been dropped).

Could you argue why you think that this should be added to the
pg_stat_progress_copy view? Again, the progress reporting subsystem is
built to "report the progress of certain commands during command
execution". Why do you think we need to go further than that and allow
some commands to retain their report even after they've finished
executing?

Of note: The contents of >st_progress_param are only defined and
guaranteed to be consistent when the reporting command is running.
Even if no other progress-reporting command is running other commands
or processes in that backend may call functions that update the fields
with somewhat arbitrary values when no progress-reporting command is
actively running, thus corrupting the information for the progress
reporting view.

Could you please provide some insights on why you think that we should
change the progress reporting guts to accomodate something that it was
not built for?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent