Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST
Date: 2023-11-15 12:14:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 14 Nov 2023, 14:12 Nikita Malakhov, <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Matthias, regarding your message above, I have a question to ask.
> On typed TOAST implementations - we thought that TOAST method used
> for storing data could depend not only on data type, but on the flow or workload,
> like out bytea appendable toaster which is much (hundreds of times) faster on
> update compared to regular procedure. That was one of ideas behind the
> Pluggable TOAST - we can choose the most suitable TOAST implementation
> available.
>
> If we have a single TOAST entry point for data type - then we should have
> some means to control it or choose a TOAST method suitable to our needs.
> Or should not?

I'm not sure my interpretation of the question is correct, but I'll
assume it's "would you want something like STORAGE
[plain/external/...] for controlling type-specific toast operations?".

I don't see many reasons why we'd need a system to disable (some of)
those features, with the only one being "the workload is mostly
read-only of the full attributes, so any performance overhead of
type-aware detoasting is not worth the temporary space savings during
updates". So, while I do think there would be good reasons for typed
toasting to be disabled, I don't see a good reason for only specific
parts of type-specific toasting to be disabled (no reason for 'disable
the append optimization for bytea, but not the splice optimization').

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)