Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, benoit <benoit(at)hopsandfork(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan
Date: 2023-07-28 11:11:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 16:01, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 7:59 AM Matthias van de Meent
> <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Basically, the patch that added that feature had to revise the index
> > > AM API, in order to support a mode of operation where scans return
> > > groupings rather than tuples. Whereas this patch requires none of
> > > that. It makes affected index scans as similar as possible to
> > > conventional index scans.
> >
> > Hmm, yes. I see now where my confusion started. You called it out in
> > your first paragraph of the original mail, too, but that didn't help
> > me then:
> >
> > The wiki does not distinguish "Index Skip Scans" and "Loose Index
> > Scans", but these are not the same.
>
> A lot of people (myself included) were confused on this point for
> quite a while.

I've taken the liberty to update the "Loose indexscan" wiki page [0],
adding detail that Loose indexscans are distinct from Skip scans, and
showing some high-level distinguishing properties.
I also split the TODO entry for `` "loose" or "skip" scan `` into two,
and added links to the relevant recent threads so that it's clear
these are different (and that some previous efforts may have had a
confusing name).

I hope this will reduce the chance of future confusion between the two
different approaches to improving index scan performance.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

[0]: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan