Re: Running pg_dump from a slave server

From: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
Cc: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running pg_dump from a slave server
Date: 2016-08-17 04:37:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> Looks like while your pg_dump sessions were trying to fetch the data,
>>> someone fired a DDL or REINDEX or VACUUM FULL on the master database.

>>> Well you can do that, but it has some limitation. If you do this quite
>>> often, it would be rather better to have a dedicated standby for taking
>>> backups/pg_dumps. Then you can set max_standby_streaming_delay and
>>> max_standby_archiving_delay to -1. But I would not recommend doing this if
>>> you use your standby for other read queries or for high availability.
>>>
>>> Another option would be avoid such queries which causes Exclusive Lock
>>> on the master database during pg_dump.
>>>

>> Another work around could be to pause the recovery, execute the pg_dump
>> and then, resume the recovery process. Not sure if this work around has
>> been considered.
>>
>> You can consider executing "pg_xlog_replay_pause()" before executing
>> pg_dump and then execute "pg_xlog_replay_resume()" after the pg_dump
>> process completes.
>>

> Ideally I would not prefer if I had only one standby. If I am right, it
> would increase the time my standby would take to complete recovery and
> become active during a promotion (if I need it during a failure of master).
> It may impact high availability/uptime. Isn't it?

Yes, depending on how long pg_dump takes on standby, the lag would increase
by that much time. It does have an impact on high availability up-time
which needs to be taken into consideration and same is the case with
max_standby* parameters as you mentioned above. I am just referring to an
option for a clean pg_dump from standby, ofcourse, provided it adheres with
high-availability up-time SLA.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia