Re: Question about performance - Postgres 9.5

From: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about performance - Postgres 9.5
Date: 2016-08-17 05:35:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> In the db I'm working one, it will be three tables:
>
> visits, work, others.
>
> Everything the customer do, will be logged. All inserts/updates/deletes
> will be logged.
>
> Option 1: Each table would have its own log table.
> visits_logs, work_logs, others_logs
>
> Option 2: All the logs would be stored here...
> log_table
>
> Can you please guys tell me which option would be faster in your opinion,
> and why?

Did you mean that, you will be auditing the activities happening on those 3
tables ? If yes, can you clarify on what you will be exactly logging ?

What will be the volume of transactions all the 3 tables will be receiving
over a business day ? if the volume is manageable, then one table for
logging all the actions across 3 tables would be good.

If you are auditing and size of the data is manageable then, even one table
would also be good. A separate audit table for each table would generally
be a good idea, which makes it easy for tracking activities.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia