Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.

From: Vinayak Pokale <vinpokale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Date: 2016-01-27 04:37:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Please find attached updated patch with an updated interface.

On Jan 26, 2016 11:22 AM, "Vinayak Pokale" <vinpokale(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> Thank you for reviewing the patch.
>
> On Jan 26, 2016 9:51 AM, "Amit Langote" <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
wrote:

> > Hi Vinayak,
> >
> > On 2016/01/25 20:58, Vinayak Pokale wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Please find attached updated patch with an updated interface.
> > >

> > Thanks for updating the patch.
> >
> > > I added the below interface to update the
> > > scanned_heap_pages,scanned_index_pages and index_scan_count only.
> > > void pgstat_report_progress_scanned_pages(int num_of_int, uint32
> > > *progress_scanned_pages_param)
> >
> > I think it's still the same interface with the names changed. IIRC, what
> > was suggested was to provide a way to not have to pass the entire array
> > for the update of a single member of it. Just pass the index of the
> > updated member and its new value. Maybe, something like:
> >
> > void pgstat_progress_update_counter(int index, uint32 newval);
> >
> > The above function would presumably update the value of
> > beentry.st_progress_counter[index] or something like that.

Following interface functions are added:

/*
* index: in the array of uint32 counters in the beentry
* counter: new value of the (index)th counter
*/
void
pgstat_report_progress_update_counter(int index, uint32 counter)

/*
called to updatet the VACUUM progress phase.
msg: new value of (index)th message
*/
void
pgstat_report_progress_update_message(int index, char
msg[N_PROGRESS_PARAM][PROGRESS_MESSAGE_LENGTH])

Regards,
Vinayak

Attachment Content-Type Size
Vacuum_progress_checker_v10.patch application/octet-stream 23.1 KB