Re: [17] CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... SERVER

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2023-08-30 13:41:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jeff,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 2:12 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> The server "myserver" must have been created with the new syntax:
>
> CREATE SERVER myserver FOR CONNECTION ONLY
>
> instead of specifying FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER. In other words, a server
> FOR CONNECTION ONLY doesn't have a real FDW, it's a special server just
> used for the postgres connection options. To create a server FOR
> CONNECTION ONLY, the user must be a member of the new predefined role
> pg_create_connection. A server FOR CONNECTION ONLY still uses ACLs and
> user mappings the same way as other foreign servers, but cannot be used
> to create foreign tables.

Are you suggesting that SERVERs created with FDW can not be used as
publishers? I think there's value in knowing that the publisher which
contains a replica of a table is the same as the foreign server which
is referenced by another foreign table. We can push down a join
between a replicated table and foreign table down to the foreign
server. A basic need for sharding with replicated tables. Of course
there's a lot work that we have to do in order to actually achieve
such a push down but by restricting this feature to only CONNECTION
ONLY, we are restricting the possibility of such a push down.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat