Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links
Date: 2024-03-29 03:43:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 11:22 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 2024-Mar-28, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>
> > LGTM.
> >
> > The commitfest entry is marked as RFC already.
> >
> > Thanks for taking care of the comments.
>
> Thanks for reviewing. I noticed a typo "seperate", fixed here.

Thanks for catching it.

> Also, I
> noticed that Robert added an empty line which looks in the source like
> he's breaking the paragraph -- but because he didn't add a closing </para>
> and an opening <para> to the next one, there's no actual new paragraph
> in the HTML output.
>

> My first instinct was to add those. However, upon reading the text, I
> noticed that the previous paragraph ends without offering an example,
> and then we attach the example to the paragraph that takes about CREATE
> TABLE LIKE showing both techniques, which seemed a bit odd. So instead
> I joined both paragraphs back together. I'm unsure which one looks
> better. Which one do you vote for?

"CREATE TABLE ... LIKE" is mentioned in a separate paragraph in HEAD as
well. The confused me too but I didn't find any reason. Robert just made
that explicit by adding a blank line. I thought that was ok. But it makes
sense to not have a separate paragraph in the source code too. Thanks for
fixing it. I think the intention of the current code as well as the patch
is to have a single paragraph in HTML output, same as "no-extra-para"
output.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat