Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date: 2023-07-19 05:42:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 1:20 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> > This behaviour doesn't need any on-disk changes or has nothing in it
> > which prohibits us from changing it in future. So I think it's good as
> > a v0. If required we can add the protocol option to provide more
> > flexible behaviour.
> >

> True, although "no on-disk changes" does not exactly mean we can just
> change it at will. Essentially, once it gets released, the behavior is
> somewhat fixed for the next ~5 years, until that release gets EOL. And
> likely longer, because more features are likely to do the same thing.
>
> That's essentially why the patch was reverted from PG16 - I was worried
> the elaborate protocol versioning/negotiation was not the right thing.

I agree that elaborate protocol would pose roadblocks in future. It's
better not to add that burden right now, esp. when usage is not clear.

Here's behavriour and extension matrix as I understand it and as of
the last set of patches.

Publisher PG 17, Subscriber PG 17 - changes to sequences are
replicated, downstream is capable of applying them

Publisher PG 16-, Subscriber PG 17 changes to sequences are never replicated

Publisher PG 18+, Subscriber PG 17 - same as 17, 17 case. Any changes
in PG 18+ need to make sure that PG 17 subscriber receives sequence
changes irrespective of changes in protocol. That may pose some
maintenance burden but doesn't seem to be any harder than usual
backward compatibility burden.

Moreover users can control whether changes to sequences get replicated
or not by controlling the objects contained in publication.

I don't see any downside to this. Looks all good. Please correct me if wrong.

> > One thing I am worried about is that the subscriber will get an error
> > only when a sequence change is decoded. All the prior changes will be
> > replicated and applied on the subscriber. Thus by the time the user
> > realises this mistake, they may have replicated data. At this point if
> > they want to subscribe to a publication without sequences they will
> > need to clean the already replicated data. But they may not be in a
> > position to know which is which esp when the subscriber has its own
> > data in those tables. Example,
> >
> > publisher: create publication pub with sequences and tables
> > subscriber: subscribe to pub
> > publisher: modify data in tables and sequences
> > subscriber: replicates some data and errors out
> > publisher: delete some data from tables
> > publisher: create a publication pub_tab without sequences
> > subscriber: subscribe to pub_tab
> > subscriber: replicates the data but rows which were deleted on
> > publisher remain on the subscriber
> >

> Sure, but I'd argue that's correct. If the replication stream has
> something the subscriber can't apply, what else would you do? We had
> exactly the same thing with TRUNCATE, for example (except that it failed
> with "unknown message" on the subscriber).

When the replication starts, the publisher knows what publication is
being used, it also knows what protocol is being used. From
publication it knows what objects will be replicated. So we could fail
before any changes are replicated when executing START_REPLICATION
command. According to [1], if an object is added or removed from
publication the subscriber is required to REFRESH SUBSCRIPTION in
which case there will be fresh START_REPLICATION command sent. So we
should fail the START_REPLICATION command before sending any change
rather than when a change is being replicated. That's more
deterministic and easy to handle. Of course any changes that were sent
before ALTER PUBLICATION can not be reverted, but that's expected.

Coming back to TRUNCATE, I don't think it's possible to know whether a
publication will send a truncate downstream or not. So we can't throw
an error before TRUNCATE change is decoded.

Anyway, I think this behaviour should be documented. I didn't see this
mentioned in PUBLICATION or SUBSCRIPTION documentation.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-alterpublication.html

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat