Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DOCS: add helpful partitioning links
Date: 2024-03-21 11:27:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 5:22 PM Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 6:38 PM Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net> wrote:
>

>> I've put it in the next commitfest with target version of 17, and I've
>> added you as a reviewer :-)
>>

> Thanks.
>

>> Also, attached is an updated patch with your change above which should
>> apply cleanly to the current git master.
>>

> It did apply for me now.
>
> The HTML renders good, the links work as expected.
>
> The CREATE TABLE ... LIKE command
> I think the original word "option" instead of "command" is better since we
> are talking about LIKE as an option to CREATE TABLE instead of CREATE TABLE
> command.
>
> + but any future attached or created partitions will be indexed as
> well.
>
> I think just "any future partitions will be indexed as well" would
> suffice, no need to mention whether they were created or attached.
>
> + One limitation when creating new indexes on partitioned tables is
> that it
> + is not possible to use the <literal>CONCURRENTLY</literal>
> + qualifier when creating such a partitioned index. To avoid long
>
> The sentence uses two different phrases, "indexes on partitioned tables"
> and "partitioned index", for the same thing in the same sentence. Probably
> it is better to leave original sentence as is.
>
> But I think it's time for a committer to take a look at this. Please feel
> free to address the above comments if you agree with them. Marking this as
> ready for committer.

The patch changes things not directly related to $Subject. It will be good
to add a commit message to the patch describing what are those changes
about. I observe that all of them are in section "partition maintenance".
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/ddl-partitioning.html#DDL-PARTITIONING-DECLARATIVE-MAINTENANCE.
Do you see any more edits required in that section?

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat