Re: PostgresSQL 13.0 Beta 1 on Phoronix

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgresSQL 13.0 Beta 1 on Phoronix
Date: 2020-05-25 12:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em seg., 25 de mai. de 2020 às 03:57, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
escreveu:

> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 02:50:08PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> > Em dom., 24 de mai. de 2020 às 14:34, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
> escreveu:
> >> It looks like they're only running pgbench for 60 second runs in all
> >> configurations -- notice that "-T 60" is passed to pgbench. I'm not
> >> entirely sure that that's all that there is to it. Still, there isn't
> >> any real attempt to make it clear what's going on here. I have my
> >> doubts about how representative these numbers are for that reason.
> >
> > I also find it very suspicious.
>
> I don't know, but what seems pretty clear to me is this benchmark does
> zero customization of postgresql.conf (it disables autovacuum!?), and
> that the number of connections is calculated based on the number of
> cores while the scaling factor is visibly calculated from the amount
> of memory available in the environment. Perhaps the first part is
> wanted, but we are very conservative to allow PG to work on small-ish
> machines with the default configuration, and a 56-core machine with
> 378GB of memory is not something I would define as small-ish.

Does this mean that V13 would need additional settings in postgresql.conf,
to perform better than V12, out of the box?
If there is any new feature in V13 that needs some configuration in
postgresql.conf,
Would be bettert it should be documented or configured in the installation
itself,
to avoid this type of misunderstanding, which harms the perception of
Postgres.

regards,
Ranier Vilela