Re: Avoid overhead open-close indexes (catalog updates)

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoid overhead open-close indexes (catalog updates)
Date: 2022-11-15 14:42:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em ter., 15 de nov. de 2022 às 04:02, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
escreveu:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 09:57:26AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Anyway, multi-inserts are going to be solution better than
> > CatalogTupleInsertWithInfo() in some cases, because we would just
> > generate one WAL record of N inserts rather than N records with one
> > INSERT each.
>
> Something that you did not consider in the initial patch is that we
> may finish by opening catalog indexes even in cases where this would
> not have happened on HEAD, as we may finish by doing nothing when
> copying the stats or updating them during an analyze, and that's not
> fine IMO. However it is easy enough to minimize the cost: just do a
> CatalogOpenIndexes() when absolutely required, and close things only
> if the indexes have been opened.

I find it very difficult not to have some tuple to be updated,
once inside CopyStatistics and the branch cost can get in the way,
but I don't object with your solution.

> Then, there are the cases where it is worth switching to a
> multi-insert logic as these are going to manipulate more than 2
> entries all the time: enum list addition and two code paths of
> tsearchcmds.c (where up to 16 entries can be lined up). This is a
> case-by-case analysis. For example, in the case of the enums, the
> number of elements is known in advance so it is possible to know the
> number of slots that would be used and initialize them. But that's
> not something you would do for the first tsearch bits where the data
> is built upon a scan so the slot init should be delayed. The second
> tsearch one can use a predictible approach, like the enums based on
> the number of known elements to insert.

Makes sense.

> So I've given a try at all that, and finished with the attached. This
> patch finishes with a list of bullet points, so this had better be
> split into different commits, I guess.
> Thoughts?

Missed AddRoleMems?
Could you continue with CatalogTupleInsertWithInfo, what do you think?

regards,
Ranier Vilela