Re: Parallel scan with SubTransGetTopmostTransaction assert coredump

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Maxim Orlov <m(dot)orlov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Pengchengliu <pengchengliu(at)tju(dot)edu(dot)cn>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Parallel scan with SubTransGetTopmostTransaction assert coredump
Date: 2021-06-04 18:08:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sex., 4 de jun. de 2021 às 12:07, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
escreveu:

> Please, avoid using decimal based values.
>>
>> 128 is multiple of 64.
>>
> It's true that 128 is better to use than 120 but the main problem is not
> in the value but in the fact we never get
> CurrentRunningXacts->subxid_overflow = suboverflowed; with value more
> than 120. This solves the problem but it doesn't seem the right way to fix
> the issue.

It seems to me a solution too.

Instead it's better to process suboverflowed state which is legit itself
> not resulting getting the crash on the Assert.

Of course it would be great to find the root of the problem.

> So the discussion of "better" value doesn't seem related to the problem.
> It is for demonstration only.

IMHO, you could propose a patch, documenting this whole situation and
proposing this workaround.
I've been studying commits, and on several occasions problems have been
fixed like this.
But important is the documentation of the problem.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela