Re: Clang UndefinedBehaviorSanitize (Postgres14) Detected undefined-behavior

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clang UndefinedBehaviorSanitize (Postgres14) Detected undefined-behavior
Date: 2020-08-28 13:37:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sex., 28 de ago. de 2020 às 00:11, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> escreveu:

> In other words, the C standard made a damfool decision and now we need
> to deal with the consequences of that as perpetrated by other fools.
> Still, it's all hypothetical so far --- does anyone have examples of
> actual rather than theoretical issues?

I still think the value of this alert would be to avoid the call.
Why do memcmp have to deal with a NULL value?
clog.c: 299, it is a case outside the curve, there are hundreds of calls in
the report.
It must be very difficult to correct, but if TransactionIdSetPageStatus was
not called in these cases, memcmp, it would not have to deal with the NULL
pointer.

regards,
Ranier Vilela