Re: BUG #18046: stats collection behaviour change is affecting the usability of information.

From: Jobin Augustine <jobin(dot)augustine(at)percona(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)percona(dot)com>
Cc: jobinau(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18046: stats collection behaviour change is affecting the usability of information.
Date: 2023-09-19 08:36:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I think Horiguchi-san's approach is closer to what we would want.
>
> Great.

> Unfortunately, the reset time for other variable-numbered stats entries
> historically has behaved differently than what you're
> desiring. E.g. pg_stat_replication_slots.stats_reset isn't set unless you
> have
> reset the stats.

Conceptually, that's correct. But the Impact on users are different.
SQL statements around pg_stat_database are something every user (DBA) has
in their arsenal for essential checks and troubleshooting.
The impact is big when their queries stopped working/giving wrong results
from PostgeSQL 15 onwards.

> I'm ok with changing the semantics to one behaviour,

Great. I believe everyone will appreciate a consistent behaviour

> but I'm a bit hesitant
> whacking this around further in a minor release...

Since this sudden undocumented behaviour change caught everyone by
surprise,
and case this is a too big change for a "bug-fix", is it possible to have
a temporary fix for a minor version, fixing pg_stat_database alone?

> Greetings,
> Andres Freund

Regards,
Jobin Augustine