Re: Server to run Postgresql

From: Thalis Kalfigkopoulos <tkalfigo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server to run Postgresql
Date: 2012-11-03 23:32:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server to
> run my Postgresql database.
>
> Is this even possible to do?
>
> If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy
> to set up? Windows based would be ideal.
>
> Bob

If by "Windows based" you mean "that has a graphical windowing system",
then any U*IX/Linux distribution applies.
For supported platforms, check:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/supported-platforms.html

Or perhaps you might consider an all-in-one solution
(apache+php+postgresql+pgadmin) like the stacks by Bitnami:

http://bitnami.org/stack/wappstack [for MsWindows]
http://bitnami.org/stack/lappstack [for Linux]

which are self-contained and easy to install/uninstall at will.

Best regards,
Thalis K.