Re: BUG #6512: Bug with prepared statement and timestamp + interval

From: Stefano Baccianella <stefano(dot)baccianella(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6512: Bug with prepared statement and timestamp + interval
Date: 2012-03-12 17:38:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think that the problem is on the type inference algorithm.

Starting from:

typeof(X) = timestamp
typeof(Y) = ?
typeof(Z) = interval
typeof(Y op Z) = ? [timestamp/interval]

The inference algorithm starts from the right

X > Y + Z => X > ? + interval [here the algorithm has two choices,
timestamp or interval, he chooses interval]
timestamp + interval => error

but starting from the left side:

X > Y + Z => timestamp > Y + Z [the only way to resolve the inference is to
assign the type timestamp to Y + Z and resolve the type of Y to timestamp]
timestamp > timestamp + interval => timestamp > timestamp => timestamp

I don't know if this is a design choice or a side effect, probably the
first.

---
Stefano