Re: [HACKERS] kqueue

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date: 2018-04-11 01:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:53 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> I don't plan to resubmit this patch myself, but I was doing some
>> spring cleaning and rebasing today and I figured it might be worth
>> quietly leaving a working patch here just in case anyone from the
>> various BSD communities is interested in taking the idea further.

I heard through the grapevine of some people currently investigating
performance problems on busy FreeBSD systems, possibly related to the
postmaster pipe. I suspect this patch might be a part of the solution
(other patches probably needed to get maximum value out of this patch:
reuse WaitEventSet objects in some key places, and get rid of high
frequency PostmasterIsAlive() read() calls). The autoconf-fu in the
last version bit-rotted so it seemed like a good time to post a
rebased patch.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
kqueue-v9.patch application/octet-stream 16.6 KB