Re: ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING on pg_dump

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Ideriha, Takeshi" <ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING on pg_dump
Date: 2018-07-12 10:42:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Ideriha, Takeshi
<ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> I did regression tests (make check-world) and
> checked manually pg_dump --on-conflict-do-nothing works properly.
> Also it seems to me the code has no problem.
> This feature has advantage to some users with small code change.
>
> So I marked it as 'Ready for committer'.
> I'd like to wait and see committers opinions.

Yeah, it's not an earth-shattering feature, but it might occasionally
be useful and isn't complicated.

+ Add ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING clause in the INSERT commands.

I think this would be better as: Add <literal>ON CONFLICT DO

+ printf(_(" --on-conflict-do-nothing dump data as INSERT
commands with ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING \n"));

That's slightly misleading... let's just use the same wording again,
eg "add ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING to INSERT commands".

{"no-unlogged-table-data", no_argument,
&no_unlogged_table_data, 1},
+ {"on-conflict-do-nothing", no_argument,
&on_conflict_do_nothing, 1},

I was tempted to say that this should be in alphabetical order, but
then I noticed that these are only *almost* in alphabetical order, not
quite. Oh well.

Here's the version I'd like to commit, if there are no objections.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-pg_dump-on-conflict-do-nothing-option-v4.patch application/octet-stream 8.1 KB