Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE on standby servers

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE on standby servers
Date: 2018-12-28 01:21:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:01 AM Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 7:29 AM Thomas Munro
> > <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > > I'll add it to the next Commitfest so I know when to rebase it.
> >
> > I signed up as reviewer in that CF.
>
> Great! Can you provide a review already?

Just to be clear, although this patch is registered in the commitfest
and currently applies and tests pass, it is prototype/WIP code with
significant problems that remain to be resolved. I sort of wish there
were a way to indicate that in the CF but since there isn't, I'm
saying that here. What I hope to get from Kevin, Simon or other
reviewers is some feedback on the general approach and problems
discussed upthread (and other problems and better ideas I might have
missed). So it's not seriously proposed for commit in this CF.

(Unlike the nearby "SERIALIZABLE with parallel query" thread, which is
about ready to land by all accounts, pending a round of perf testing
if a decent test can be selected.)

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com