Re: Optimize Arm64 crc32c implementation in Postgresql

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Yuqi Gu <Yuqi(dot)Gu(at)arm(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimize Arm64 crc32c implementation in Postgresql
Date: 2018-04-03 22:07:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:38 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> [armv8-crc32c-2.patch]

This tests OK on my Debian buster aarch64 system (the machine that
runs "eelpout" in the buildfarm), configure tests as expected and I
confirmed that pg_comp_crc32c_armv8 is reached at runtime.

I hope we can figure out a more portable way to detect the
instructions, or failing that a way to detect them on FreeBSD in
userspace. I'll try to send a patch for PG12 if I get a chance.

No opinion on the unaligned memory access question.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com